International Baccalaureate - Middle Years Program
6th through 8th Grade
The Middle Years Program is a middle school academic program that is part of the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO). The MYP is specifically designed to serve students ages 11-16. It provides a framework of academic challenge and life skills appropriate to this stage of adolescence. The MYP focuses on the student’s intellectual and social development along with teaching an understanding of the student’s own history and global awareness in each subject area.
There are eight core disciplines in the IB/MYP:
- language and Literature (English and French)
- individuals and Societies (Social Studies)
- arts (Music and Visual)
- design (computer class)
- physical and Health Education
- language Acquisition (Spanish and Mandarin)
This student-centered program both embraces and transcends traditional school subjects by helping students see the connections between the academic disciplines. The IBMYP philosophy includes ALL middle school students. It is based on the best available research and collaboration of practitioners from all over the world.
- promotes responsible global citizenship, while preparing students for their future
- provides inter-cultural awareness for all members of the school community
- focuses on rigorous academics
- facilitates communication for the development of interdisciplinary, thematic instruction so students connect what they learn
- calls for students to develop higher level thinking skills and important life skills
- provides assessment criteria
- embeds community service throughout the curriculum.